Saturday, October 24, 2015

Coffee and Deeds

One of the ministries that I have been involved in a couple times and will continue to be involved in for the rest of the year is Coffee and Deeds. This is a volunteer based coffee house that is run by the church in the community. It is a place where people can come with their children or friends to share in community. As a volunteer we run the shop and also try to connect with people when they come in.  My job is usually to set the plates for coffee and to serve the coffee. I also help with preparing some food, wiping tables and doing dishes. With time as my language skills grow I may also learn to make the coffee and to take orders. My favourite part is when it isn't very busy we take the time to sit with people and have a conversation. My first time working there a woman who came in with her two young boys. As they played in the next room I had a long conversation with her. She is newly divorced out of an abusive relationship and now a single parent to her two boys. We talked about many things but the best part was that we got to talk about the church and what Christians believe. She asked questions like " Can anyone go to a church?  Or What value does Christ put on loving people?" Even though she had never been to a church she already knew that there was something different about Christians. At the end of the conversation she took my e-mail and said that she appreciated so much how real I was with her. My prayer is that I will meet her again soon and we can continue with this relationship. Friendship ministry takes time but I feel that this woman is so close to knowing Christ already. I am so thankful that I was able to meet with her at this time. Coffee and Deeds is just a normal, safe place for people in the community. It is a powerful tool to bring the church to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment