Wednesday, September 2, 2015

OM Go Conference

I got back a few days ago from the Go Conference in Holland. It was ten days of learning how to be culturally sensitive, how to work among other cultures, a time of teaching, prayer, worship and fellowship. My favourite story was about a man who walked past a homeless person and felt that he was suppose to buy shoes for this homeless man. He bought the shoes and gave them to the homeless man. After a short conversation the man left. When seeing the homeless man again about three months later he was wearing the shoes and said that he had become a Christian and felt that his calling was to minister to the people on the street. Such a little thing as buying a pair of shoes changed the life of this man and maybe even others in his situation. I heard stories like this over and over again as well as felt so blessed to be among over 200 people who were being sent all over the world. It was a really good beginning to my year here in Switzerland.

While at the Go Conference I was asked many times four questions. What is your name? Where are you from? Where are you going to? And why did you pick to go to Switzerland? Switzerland is a bit of an unusual place to think about a mission field but in reality there are very few that know Jesus as their personal saviour. As I have visited several times over the past few years I have seen the need in this country. I have seen people who are lonely, suicidal, lost in the pressure of their world. I have heard even more stories of the need and how few people there are to spread Gods word among the people here. I know that through this time God has been preparing me for a very difficult mission field to be in. As all of you should know I have really good friends here in Switzerland. I did not pick to come here because of these relationships but they are an amazing blessing to have. They have made my transition a lot easier as I already have a friend group as well as a small group. It has also been wonderful to have their continual love and support through this time.

Praise God that the Go Conference was so successful. That I am really getting along great with my team and my house mates. Praise that my visa is officially done and ready to be picked up.

Requests include for cultural integration. That I will learn Swiss German quickly, that I will feel culturally aware of what is around me and that I will start to live in the country with less minor difficulties.

Thank you for your continual support.
God Bless Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment