Friday, November 20, 2015

A Greater Understanding

       This week we went to talk with some missionaries who now work in Switzerland but spent many years working in Albania and Greece. We did this because every second week we run a kids program and have many children from immigrant backgrounds especially from the Balkon area. We were explained what their cultural values are, how they parent, religious values and much more. Often we associate religious beliefs from a Muslim point of view to people when really it is just cultural differences.
     
         I took a lot out of the discussion but there were two points that have changed the way I view these children. One is that when I work with them I thought why are these children so attached physically as well as always looking for personal attention. The last time I saw this was in the red light district of Bogata Colombia. I found out that in this culture adults don't play with their children, they do everything they can to provide physical needs and things to impress but don't really spend time with their children. The children reacted this way because they are not used to adults spending time with them. My heart just sank to hear this that parents are not instilling values into their children like they are loved, valued, precious or important.
     
        The second is that through this I recieved a great desire to show and share these values with the children. I am not sure exactly what this will look like in the many months to come but there is a definate need here in the community I work and live in. Please pray that God will make this clear to me and open doors in ways I can't even imagine. It is so good to see how God is continually growing my heart for the community here!

No comments:

Post a Comment