Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Kids Camp Week

This week we are running a kids sport camp week for children grades one to six. It is a program that partners with the community, social workers and teachers to give something for children to do during their winter vacation. In the past their has been a problem with children wondering the streets unsupervised at this young age especially children from immigrant backgrounds. This program was implemented last year to help with this situation. The children participate in sports activities, crafts, a short story and a snack every day. It is all free and open for as many children that want to come. The first day we had about 50 children and the number continues to grow. 

Yesterday I was helping with crafts which was making a wooden box with a light in it. One of the older girls that I know fairly well because she comes to our kids program was having a difficult time with this and started to cry. I saw her and asked if she was alright. She nodded but she didn't seem fine. I stayed with her for a few more moments and explained that the task was difficult and I learnt how to do these things at a much older age. She seemed reassured and continued to work on her project. At the end of the day I saw her again and asked if she felt better. She said yes. I gave her a hug and told her that she is so beautiful. She said goodbye with a big smile on her face. It was one of those moments that I knew that God was working in her heart and bringing her towards him. She was seeing Christ through me which is why I serve everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment